University of Tampa cricketers hope to emulate Babe Ruth’s big hit!

So good,UT only needs 7 players in their XI !

Kaushal Vaddiraj UT cricket captain, speaking with Nino DiLoreto

The University of Tampa was established by Frederic Spaulding in 1931.Current enrollment is about 6,500 on a 100 acres campus in the city of Tampa. Annual budget: $160 million.

UT is in the top tier of U.S. News and World Report’s “America’s Best Colleges 2011-Graduate” and the Princeton Review has named UT’s John H. Sykes College of Business an outstanding business school — and one of the 301 best business schools in the world. UT has Army, Air Force, and Navy ROTC programs on campus.

UT’s student newspaper, the Minaret, was named best college newspaper in the Florida College Press Association’s (FCPA) Better Newspaper Contest in 2007 and 2008. The online edition won the USA’s best small school website award by the Associated Collegiate Press in 2010.

According to US News & World Report “Over $200 million has been invested in new facilities since 1998 including a new student center, College of Business building, Marine Science Field Station, art galleries, a theatre, and modern computer, digital arts, language and science labs. All of UT’s ten residence halls are new or have been renovated since 1998.”
The school is noted for its small class sizes and some of the best residence halls in the region.

UT has been certified by the National Weather Service as a StormReady community.

The University of Tampa no longer has a football program. It ended in 1974 because of low attendance and losing money, so UT does not have the traditional football rivalry of most schools, though it defeated the Miami Hurricanes in 1970 and 1972 The cricket players now hope to create one with cross town USF Bulls,the Miami Hurricanes,as well as the Gators,UCF Knights and FIU Panthers.

Legend goes that Babe Ruth hit his longest home run (630 feet) at the former Florida State Fair grounds,which is now within the UT campus. UT has also won 4 NCAA Div II baseball titles, and Div II titles in soccer,volleyball & golf. It’s basketball team has also had 10 consecutive winning seasons, and UT is considered a Div.II sports powerhouse.

President Barack Obama visited the University of Tampa on January 28, 2010.

Famous alumni include the Yankees Lou Piniella and Tino Martinez, and John Matzusek who played for the Oakland Raiders and was a “World Strongest Man” competitor. He also acted in the 1985 film,the Goonies.

The cricket players at UT are currently working towards getting Club Sports status,with Kaushal Vaddiraj as
President and Captain,Ishan Patel as Vice President, and Hemant Rustogi as Faculty Advisor. Kaushal has been a Presenter at the Florida Collegiate Honors Conference and Southern Regional Honors Conference.

The UT guys are practicing hard to make a strong showing, and possibly win the American College Cricket Southeast Championship, being played Nov 5,6 & 7 at the Cricket Stadium in Central Broward Regional Park.

Next March the UT players hope to compete in the 2011 American College Cricket Championship for the national title and the Chanderpaul Trophy.

1 Comment

1. World Spinner
    27 Oct 2010, 12:14 am

University of Tampa cricketers hope to emulate Babe Ruth's big hit ……

Here at World Spinner we are debating the same thing……